Mikel Lindsaar wrote:
I am running 4.1 on several servers, one thing I found was the
surprise on needing the X package to install some of the non x-windows
ports due to dependencies within that tree.  I think it was for the
graphics libraries, either way, I installed the x packages and all is
well.

But I remember reading in a FAQ or release notes somewhere that this
was a mistake and would be fixed in the next version of OpenBSD (ie,
remove the dependency on the x-windows system for these libraries).

I am about to install a bunch of 4.2 servers, is this dependency fixed
in 4.2?  Or is that a 4.3 target?

To my knowledge dependency first time occurred in 4.2. It is already fixed in 4.3. If you are installing servers with 4.2 and you do not want to install xbase due to the security concerns you can just extract a single library which was mistakenly put into xbase. If you search misc you can find how to.

Cheers,
Predrag

Regards

Mikel