Hi list,

this is a question about named and syslog and how they interplay.
My named is instructed to log via a syslog channel (local0) and
it works fine. The relevant flags of rc.conf.local are

        syslogd_flags=""
        named_flags=""

In the output of ps I see that syslogd runs as

        syslogd -a /var/named/dev/log -a /var/empty/dev/log

I wonder how this is done. syslog and named are two separate processes
that don't basically care about each other (right?). So how does the
'-a /var/named/dev/log' get into syslog's flags and who created
/var/named/dev/log - named or syslog?

Oh ... /etc/rc did. OK, syslogd_flags _do_ care whether named is enabled.
(Although my question is now answered by just asking the question,
I will leave it here for others who go this way.)

A similar question I have: I use postfix. After make install, one of the
things the package's "postfix-enable" script asks me to do is to add '-a
/var/spool/postfix/dev/log' to syslogd_flags. That's because postfix is
a(n optional) package, and as such is not taken into consideration in
/etc/rc - unlike named, which is part of the system. Right?

One final question: I removed /var/spool/postfix/dev/log now,
removed '-a /var/spool/postfix/dev/log' from syslogd_flags,
and rebooted. Postfix still logs as it is supposed to, although
/var/spool/postfix/dev/log is not there now. So why does
'-a /var/spool/postfix/dev/log' need to be added to syslogd_flags?
(The same seems to work without it.)

        Thanks

                Jan