Cm'on Raimo. Tssk! Tssk!
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/sysutils/grub/files/

I mostly use openports.se, rather than searching my own filesystem
which is not quite conforming to the standard file hierarchy. :-)

Raimo Niskanen wrote:
On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 02:54:48PM +0200, Louis V. Lambrecht wrote:
Not quite, you don't need a specific partition for grub.Grub only needs to be installed
on the BIOS first boot device.
Which can be a hard drive, a floppy, a cdrom, an usb key...

Thank you for your correction.

I looked at an OpenBSD 4.1 machine and did
not find grub in neither the packages nor
the ports tree. So I erroneously assumed
a non-OpenBSD aware grub was needed.

On a hard drive with only OpenBSD slices, grub will usually be installed on the
first slice, the one with the largest volume label. The BIOS boot one.

At boot, the mbr jumps to the /grub directory, loads some stages and reads the
menu.lst.
Grub has the ability to mark partition types (keyword parttype) and
mark a partition active (define root(x,y) and keyword makeactive)
just as any fdisk would do (you eventually can partition a disk from within grub).

There is some info, even without the need to install it first:
/usr/ports/sysutils/grub/files/README.OpenBSD and a menu example
/usr/ports/sysutils/grub/files/menu.lst

;
:
Raimo Niskanen wrote:
:
:
GRUB installed to MBR can do it, but needs a partition
to exist in. So then it will be its second stage bootloader
that does the selection. And you will have to modify
menu.lst in the GRUB installation, so the GRUB installation
will have to be writable from OpenBSD.

:
: