On Tuesday 08 April 2008 18:07, you wrote:
>> As part of my move from GNU/Linux to OpenBSD on my server, I just
>> want to clarify what I need to do to ensure that I have performance
>> optimised.
>
>I imagine, if you run the standard OpenBSD system on your servers for
>some time, you'll be satisfied.

Exactly. When i first started using OpenBSD i would always compile my
own kernel and change a lot of settings to make it more Linux-like. As
i learned the system, i've stopped doing all that. All my OpenBSD
machines run GENERIC and don't have many changes in /etc, nor many GNU
packages or other bloat installed.

The base system works out of the box very well, and the sooner you
realize that, the happier you'll be because you'll have less
maintenance to do, less to remember, and installations and upgrades
will go much faster. Of course, if you want to run some service that
isn't part of the base system, you'll have to add it and configure it.
But for quite a few services (such as firewall, DNS, DHCP, NTP, even
web), a pure OpenBSD install is usually sufficient and all you need to
do is turn on the appropriate daemon by adding a line
in /etc/rc.conf.local.