On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 03:41:54AM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:08:26AM +0000, Jacob Meuser wrote:
>
> > > Yes, I noticed it's there - but does the driver support all of the
> > > available
> > > capabilities?
> >
> > according to BUGS in envy(4), no.  but emu(4) doesn't support all
> > the features of the emu10k1 chips, either.
>
> I understand - but the mentioned "VIA opening" is suggesting, that perhaps
> completing the envy driver can be much easier, if VIA will release the docs;
> Creative Labs, unfortunately, still doesn't seem to be willing to.

besides the MIDI port and the world clock the envy24 chip support
is quite complete. Unfortunately that doesn't mean that all
envy-based cards are fully usable.

 - first, envy24 is a generic digital only chip; it's connected to
   up to 4 codecs that do the analog<->digital conversions and that
   hold the gain knobs. So to add support for a new cards we must
   add support for its codecs, and we need to know how these codecs
   are wired to the envy24 chip, how gpio pins are used, etc...
   (this may require docs from the sound card manufacturer, not
   via)

 - second, there are limitations in most audio apps and in our
   audio(4) device that makes envy24-based cards hard to use (eg.
   lack of 24/32-bit encoding or 10/12 channel support). IMO, this
   is the most urgent to solve.

> I'm not sure, nevertheless, if that envy24-related docs is enough; there are
> some other chips on the envy-fitted cards, anyway.
>
> > > The "VIA opening" won't be of any help in this particular case?
> >
> > at least some datasheets are/have been available:
> >
> > http://envy24.svobodno.com/datasheets/
>
> I think, I'll have to make a comparison with Audigy soon...  ;) as I can
> see, there are even (semi?)professional cards built using Envy; like f.e.
> this one: http://www.ixbt.com/multimedia/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

afaik, these cards are based on envy24ht, not envy24.

-- Alexandre