On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 12:04:10PM -0500, Dale Rahn wrote:

> I presume that /dev/sd0c  or sdN[a-k] was used to access the USB device
> this goes thru the buffer cache which defeats the use of larger blocks under
> OpenBSD. To accurately compare the I/O speeds use /dev/rsd0c, the raw device.
>
> Please be accurate about what is being tested.

Thanks, I'll apply the cluebat appropriately. Using rsdxx indeed results in
similar results. Sorry for the noise.

I've turned on softdep for the filesystems on the stick. This enormously
sped up file creation/deletion: for example "MAKEDEV all" took 45 seconds
without soft updates, and 2 seconds with soft updates.

--
Jurjen Oskam

Savage's Law of Expediency:
        You want it bad, you'll get it bad.