On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Tom Geman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  > Problem is that carp2 never gets MASTER when I take down pcn2...
>
>  I have never tried the setup you are proposing, but something doesn't seem
> right.  Shouldn't both NICs belong to the same carp1?  What happens if you
> try:
>

>  # cat /etc/hostname.carp1
>  inet 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.255 vhid 2 carpdev pcn2 advskew 0
>

> inet 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.255 vhid 2 carpdev pcn3 advskew 10

Thanks,
I can't try right now but I hope I'll be able tomorrow.

Anyway, it could be that my problem is related to the "preempt" option.
The man page I should have looked at before posting says this :

     For firewalls and routers with multiple interfaces, it is desirable to
     failover all of the carp interfaces together, when one of the physical
     interfaces goes down.  This is achieved by the preempt option.  Enable it
     on both host A and B

So when I take pcn2 down, preemt probably takes all carp devices down,
including the one that should become MASTER...

If your solution does not work, I thought I'd try a failover trunking
of pcn2 and pcn3, giving some trunk0 interface I could associate with
a single carp device.

I'll keep this updated asap.

Best regards,

--