Hello,

> I'm curious how much more failure in the new "perpendicular" drives
> you are seeing.  I can certainly see various drive makers pushing
> capacity irrespective of reliability.  Germane to this case, some
> of them reduce the reserve storage for bad sectors for that extra
> storage.  Tisk tisk.

to new, not that many in use yet and it will likely take a while for
the errors to show up. when searching for an unrelated issue with the
samsung 1TB, I found some reports of high numbers of reassigned
sectors in SMART data, floating around. but that is not necessarily
an issue, could be just an aspect of the higher density handled with
more ECC. nice poster one has to admit, the "terabite". :)

the bad-sectors we saw where mostly found in cheap 80/160GB single
platter drives. of the 300/400/500 we had only a few errors so far.

i think there are some companies out there having collected a lot
more smart-data the we do, wonder what they do with it... ;)

-sm