Quoted from Girish Venkatachalam on Sun, May 04, 2008 at 04:18:10AM +0530,:
> On 13:51:58 May 03, Robert C Wittig wrote:
>
> > vi/vim.
> >
> > I use it for most of my editing tasks, not just writing C code.
>
> I use vim since it enhances my coding speed in a big way.
>
> As to KNF I guess it is just a habit that I want to inculcate for all my
> C coding. Right now it is voluntary and occasionally painful but I don't
> want to lose the chance to make it automatic by going in for a tool.
>
> I am bowled over by vim's knowledge of config file syntax and the way it
> highlights various keywords. That way I can afford to be a bit lazy with
> certain programming languages or even config file directives. It would
> highlight typos in a different color.
>
> Occasionally vim does  go wrong however but so far it has not affected
> me.
>
> I type out this mail with vim and it helps me appear good since I have
> auto spell check on. With bad keyboards I tend to make silly typos and
> vim can save my day by highlighting it and alerting me.
>
> Of course I would not be so much in love with vim but for its vi key
> bindings.
>
> As to power editing you should really read the short and sweet document
> written by the author of vim Bram Moolenaar.
>
> (If someone can locate it for me I shall be obliged. ;)
>

> He emphasizes how the steep learning curve experienced by vi learners
> are paid back in full in due course of time. I can vouch for it. So what
> if it is counter intuitive in the beginning?
>
> So what if it is sometimes tougher than emacs? Once you use it every time
> you create a document be it LaTeX or e-mail or source code or config
> file editing, you stick to one editor and that according to me is an
> amazing convenience.
>
> Its ability to read and write files makes it even more powerful of
> course. And the output of commands.
>
> Hope this helps. That said choice is yours as always. ;)
>
> Open source is a democratic world. ;)
>
> -Girish

You might check here for the article you spoke of:

http://www.moolenaar.net/vim.html

Denny White

- --

I'm not crazy, but I am a carrier.

All messages scanned by ClamAssassin
http://jameslick.com/clamassassin/
GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A
iD8DBQFIHjScy0Ty5RZE55oRAqyGAKC7Kgc+nxmGSeMxFA8VjOAtyd8QrQCbBH3F
0PTq1AERdEu/H0UIWNoNCEg=
=j4xN
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----