Kirk Ismay wrote:
> I get the following on boot:
>
> Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
> /dev/rwd0a: 1707 files, 16951 used, 283059 free (35 frags, 35378 blocks,
> 0.0% fragmentation)
> /dev/rwd0a: MARKING FILE SYSTEM CLEAN
> uvm_fault(0xd05e1aa0, 0x8000000, 0, 1) -> e
> kernel: page fault trap, code=0
> Stopped at      vget+0x1d:      movl    0x3c(%esi),%edx
>
> I suspect a hardware issue, but as it's on a rack on the other side of
> the country, I can't easily tell.  What else might be causing this ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> dmesg, trace & ps below:
[snipped for size, but thanks!]

First reaction is "upgrade, that's too old".
Second reaction is "upgrade, as that may fix your problem".

FROM MEMORY (mine, not your computer's, and the only error checking
my memory has is this list!), I think there were some file system
bugs found and fixed that might possibly cause crashes like this
since the 3.9 days.  (I know there were things found and fixed, just
not sure if it was before or after 3.9, or if they look like the
problem you are seeing).

You can probably test if I'm barking up the right tree or barking
mad by booting a 4.3 bsd.rd and see if you can fsck your root
partition.  Since you appear to have a serial console, I'd try to
do this by booting single user, mount -f / (to skip the fsck), start
the rest of the system, and copy over a 4.3 bsd.rd, then reboot off
it.  If the fsck works, reboot, and upgrade the machine, please.

Nick.