On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Sam Fourman Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  What I am really after is, well it is probably a fine line.... the
>  most secure DNS can be while still providing the outside world
>  recursive queries.
>  because there is no real (sane)  way to host email servers and not
>  provide recursive queries.

We all agree that you need to provide recursive DNS service to the
hosts that are your MTAs and that you need to answer DNS queries about
your own zones from any host out there.

However, you do not need to provide *recursive* service to random
outside hosts on the Internet at large in order to send and receive
email.  That is, your servers can and should refuse to answer a DNS
query that asked for, for example, the address of www.openbsd.org.  If
you think otherwise, please cite references.

Philip Guenther