* Otto Moerbeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-05-08 13:47]:
> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 07:23:41AM -0400, Steve Johnson wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the information. This is the first time that I've used PF as a
> > router based firewall and not with NAT. I didn't know that the state was on
> > a per interface basis, and not global to the system. So this means that
> > unless I want to allow all outbound traffic from my firewall, I need to
> > have a matching pass out rule for all the pass in rules for which I want to
> > restrict the inbound interface (ie for which I don't want to put just pass
> > for)?
>
> No, states are by default global and not tied to an interface. See man
> pf.conf.

now you conusd him even more :)

while otto is right, contrary to your belief, the direction of creation
is in the state. so given routing doesn't change they are effectively
per-interface. it;s just that they can move onto another interfaces if
routing changes.

for your case, consider skipping filtering on one interface (set skip
em5)

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de