Martin Gignac escribis:
I will try, thanks for the info. Just to make sure I'm not dealing with a bug can anyone try this??... just set a global limit to a interface ($int_if), then do a ftp transfer to the gateway ( the one with the PF+ALTQ) and time the put and get transfers with a large file.

When I get a download time of 3 minutes, the upload is of 10 seconds... :s

Hi,

Just a shot in the dark here. Maybe I totally misunderstood your sentence:

  "When I get a download time of 3 minutes, the upload is of 10
  seconds..."

Did you mean:

  "_While_ I get a download time of 3 minutes, the upload is of 10
  seconds..."

If that's what you meant, isn't that behavior normal? Considering that (as the PF user's guide puts it):

  "Note that queueing is only useful for packets in
  the outbound direction. Once a packet arrives on an interface in the
  inbound direction it's already too late to queue it -- it's already
  consumed network bandwidth to get to the interface that just received
  it."

Sorry if my question is beside the point! :o)
-Martin

Maybe you're right with the PF user's guide, anyway I explain better to
avoid confussions:

[Joe PC] -- [OpenBSD box] -- Internet,

lets take away the internet, only the Joe - box thing is the matter.

OpenBSD is doing nat as explained on my pf.conf in the original post of
this thread.  The OpenBSD box also makes of FTP server, but I want a
limit of 100Kbs (simetrical 100Kbs) speaking of bits, and not bytes.  So I
do the needed rules on pf.conf to make Joe get only 100Kbs of the
interface in OpenBSD box serving Joe PC.

If, from Joe PC, I get a file by ftp from the OpenBSD box, I get exactly
what I want, the 100Kb limit. (at the same time I'm not doing anything
with the net, like browsing or getting mail...)

If, from Joe PC, I put a file by ftp to OpenBSD box, then the problem
appears, and the speed ups in a factor of 40x. If I change the bandwidth
value on altq rule of pf.conf, then the speed of put a file on OpenBSD
box also changes, but is 40 times more speed. I mean, I want simetrical
100Kbs limit on the interface to Joe PC, can I have this setting?

I hope not to be making noise in the mail list.

Thanks for your time.
-Jesus