Hello

I'm currently trying to install OpenBSD-4.3 on my
subnotebook (JVC MP-XP3), the problem is that it
doesn't have any CD-ROM and/or floppy drive and it
isn't capable of booting using PXE nor booting from
USB-HDD. (Already checked that)

I read in the FAQ that there's a possibility to
install OpenBSD from harddisk through bsd.rd, so I
downloaded the latest (4.3-RELEASE) bsd.rd, put it on
a small separate partition in a directory named /boot,
modified the Grub menu and tried to boot that.

It didn't work out, here's what I get:
panic: /boot too old: upgrade!

The operating system has halted.
Please press any key to reboot

After this I thought that maybe bsd.rd needs some
other files which it expects to be usually found in
/boot.
So I downloaded cd43.iso, extracted its contents to
/boot and retried. Still the same problem.
Following to that I also tried with install43.iso,
same procedure, but the problem remains.

The Grub menu entry I used for the 2nd and 3rd try:
root (hd0,3)
kernel --openbsd=openbsd /boot/4.3/i386/bsd.rd

In the FAQ, section 4.11 it says: [0]
... if you have a running older version of OpenBSD,

Does this probably mean that the install method with
bsd.rd is only possible if there's already an OpenBSD
system existing on the harddisk?

If that's correct, is there any other suitable
installation method using a install-image on a
harddisk?

Currently I don't have any more ideas, beside the
following:
I could install OpenBSD on an other (totally
different) computer using the standard CD-ROM install
method, after that I'd copy the hole system to an
USB-HDD which in turn I would plug to my subnotebook.
There I'd copy the hole system to a temporary
partition, download the latest (4.3) bsd.rd again,
edit the Grub menu and retry to boot the bsd.rd.

I already searched the web for other installing
methods suitable for my case and searched further if
there's a possibility of directly booting .iso images
using Grub but couldn't find anything useful.

Suggestions most welcome

Thanks,
~fc

[0] http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#bsd.rd