--- On Thu, 7/10/08, Louis V. Lambrecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Frankly, re-re-re-re-read the FAQ.
> Since you just re-installed and still want -current
> packages, the best
> way would
> be to grab a snapshot and do a fresh install.
> Do this on a date at which your mirror has packages with
> the same date than
> the snapshots. (or a day or two off).
> Release updates are almost foolproof, updating from
> snapshots might break,
> while a snapshot of the next day would be perfect.
>
> My personal opinion:
> when you have both the stock OS and sources and started
> installing
> packages,
> I experienced it to be safe to keep pkg_add'ing for a
> week or two.
> Certainly not do a cvs.
> When packages fail to install, switch to installing the
> ports from
> source (still without
> having done a cvs: keep OS. sources, ports tree at the same
> date).
>
> Actually, I have 2 slices, one with a working environment,
> one with a
> testing
> environment. Yet another slice with my server's data,
> archives,
> distfiles, ...
> Every 2 months or so I install a snapshot and most used
> packages on the
> testing slice and switch the boot slice when all is well.
>
> To be honest, I have a third installation on an USB key
> where I test the
> snapshot. First an upgrade, and if it is OK, I upgrade the
> testing slice.
> If not OK, I read misc@ and undeadly for hints and wait a
> couple of
> weeks to try another snapshot.
> Doing so, I have 2 (eventually 3) OSes to boot from and
> access my data
> and archives.
>
> Current is where the team is developing, what works now can
> break in the
> next minutes,
> and work perfectly half an hour later.
>
> If you really need current, test it on a separate slice.
> Don't touch a good working installation.
>
> Before I forget:
> mighty important!
> keep copies of /var/backups on a safe place before
> upgrading/re-installing.
> Time-saver.

thanks for you help and advice.
Now i have been able using OpenBSD 4.3 stable and running desktop with gnome[1].

yes, i have a plan for dual boot OpenBSD, one for stable and one for current,
but at now i'll stick using OpenBSD 4.3 Stable branch.

thanks you all for helping me using OpenBSD for the first time :)
this is a big experience for me :)

[1]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/673111fb18.jpg