My laptop (Thinkpad T41p) and I are going to be doing a lot of
travelling in the next year, so I'm investigating how to
(cryptographically) improve my security in case of loss/theft/seizure.
Right now I use cfs (ports) for a few "sensitive" subdirectories, but
95+% of my /home is still cleartext to anyone with physical access to
the laptop.  The same applies for my external backup disks.

I'm considering putting all of /home under svnd encryption
(still keeping cfs on top for "sensitive" subdirectories), and I have
some questions (see below).  I have RTFMs svnd(4), vnconfig(8), and
mount_vnd(8), and googled my way to some useful web pages, notably
  http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/documents/OpenBSDEncryptedFilesystemHOWTO.html
  http://mareichelt.de/pub/notmine/linuxbsd-comparison.html
  http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/797/openbsd-encrypted-nas-howto
(Some of these web pages seem to be a bit old, (eg) complaining about
the now-fixed dictionary-attack vulnerability).

As I understand it, the basic procedure for using svnd is this (starting
with a brand-new-from-the-computer-store disk sd0, and with steps numbered
for later reference:
[1] # fdisk sd0                 ... create single msdos-partition
[2] # disklabel sd0             ... create single openbsd-partition "a"
[3] # newfs /dev/sd0a
[4] # mount -o softdep /dev/sd0a /mnt
[5] # dd if=/dev/arandom bs=1m of=/mnt/imagefile count=...
[6] # vnconfig -vck -K 100000 -S /var/saltfile svnd0 /mnt/imagefile
[7] # disklabel svnd0           ... create encrypted openbsd-partition "a"
[8] # newfs /dev/svnd0a
[9] # mount -o rw,nodev,nosuid,softdep -t vnd /dev/svnd0a /home

Now my questions:
1. Are there other Fine Manuals (relevant to svnd) I should Read
   besides the ones I listed above?
2. Where (besides the source code) can I find the svnd encryption
   algorithm documented?  This would help me research the answer to
   the next question...
3. What are the error propagation properties of the svnd encryption?
   That is, for example, if a disk/USB/memory error corrupts a single
   512-byte block in the middle of /dev/sd0a, will that show up as
   512 bytes of corruption in /dev/svnd0c, or will the entire
   /dev/svnd0c be corrupted from that point onwards?
4. Is there any upper size limit to the size of an encrypted image
   apart from the kernel 8TB limit and fsck time and memory usage?
   For example, is there any problem with using the above on (say) a
   250GB disk?
5. Is there any problem with using softdep in steps [4] and [9]?
6. Are there any special newfs parameters needed for either the underlying
   filesystem (step [3]) or the encrypted one (step [8])?  The underlying
   filesystem will only hold a single huge 'imagefile', whose size won't
   change after initial creation (step [5]), so I could imagine saving
   a bit of disk space by configuring very few inodes.  What about the
   FFS/FFS2 minimum free space threshold (newfs -m) -- with the imagefile
   preallocated (step [5]), is there any benefit to a nonzero minimum
   free space threshold?
7. How worried should I be about bug kernel/5709 "rapidly creating many
   small files on crypted svnd locks box", which as of a few minutes
   ago was/is shown as in state "open"?

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   t <= 31.Aug.2008: School of Mathematics, U of Southampton, England