On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Nick Holland
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Besides, the finished flash drive is wonderfully useful. :)
> (I've got a 4G, partitioned out as 2G OpenBSD, 2G FAT32, which is
> bootable on OpenBSD and still usable as a Windows flash drive,
> as well.  Only problem I have is I keep buying the super-cheap
> flash drives which work great until you sit on them.)
>
> (the "proper" solution is to boot OpenBSD (inc. off a CDROM
> or floppy), partition and format the media, install MBR, install
> kernel, install /boot, install PBR.  If you can do that without
> error, you can probably skip the OpenBSD install script, just
> manually copy files onto your target machine.  i.e., not worth
> the effort, probably.  I know how to do it, and I rarely do so
> without error).

Hey Nick,

Inspired by you (and the realization "hey, I've got a 20$ 4gig
thumbdrive now because I'm in the FUTAR"), today I set about making
myself one of these. I made a 2gig OpenBSD a partition, and a 2gig FAT
i partition using OpenBSD's newfs_msdos. The trouble is, Windows Vista
doesn't want to recognize it. It sees the partition, of course, but
claims it's unformatted. I set the partition ID in the MBR to 0B
initially, then to 0C, and then to 06 (which is what another flash
drive that vista does recognize has on it) but none of these made
Vista recognize it. I'm assuming the problem is that OpenBSD wrote the
FAT wrong, so I'm wondering how it was that you formatted your drive.
Did you just get windows to do it for you?

-othernick