Hannah Schroeter wrote:
Hi!

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 03:53:37PM +0200, Mats O Jansson wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Hannah Schroeter wrote:

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 07:30:35PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
Hannah Schroeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Is your keyboard an USB one? I observe the same with an USB keyboard.

- keyboard.encoding=us.swapctrlcaps has no effect (in
 /etc/wsconsctl.conf)

These settings only affect the _first_ keyboard in the system
(wskbd0).  Unfortunately, for a PC that is usually the PS/2 keyboard,
even if none is plugged in.

[...]

That's quite unfortunate though if you can't affect the non-X11 keyboard
mapping of secondary keyboards at all.

Thats not correct.

/sbin/kbd will change keyboard settings on ALL keyboards that has
support for the requested keyboard map.

wsconsctl has -f which allows you select which keyboard you are applying
the change to. For keyboard operations /dev/wskbd0 is default if not
specified.

read the man page!

Thanks for the hints. I see /etc/rc still can use /sbin/kbd to set the
keyboard type from /etc/kbdtype, in addition to load wsconsctl settings
from /etc/wsconsctl.conf (but the latter only to the default control
devices, to load settings to a *specific* different control device, it
seems you need to setup something on your own, e.g. in /etc/rc.local).

(And btw, in X11, somehow the setup of the keyboard mapping from
/etc/X11/xorg.conf is delayed, since about mid-December 2007. Before,
the mapping from there, and from a few xmodmap settings loaded in
.xinitrc, took effect immediately when X was up from startx, now it
takes quite some time, perhaps half a minute or so, for them to take
effect. Related to X11 privsep changes? Later changes using setxkbmap
take effect immediately, btw.)

It will always take the mapping from xorg.conf if it is defined there.
If no keyboard language is specified X11 will now make a guess depending
on which keyboard layout wscons has. But since X11 is reading the keyboard
raw any change made to wscons after X11 is started doesn't change anything
in X11.

No problem. I set the X11 keyboard layout using X11 means (xorg.conf,
setxkbmap, xmodmap). I just complained about the *delay* for the initial
setup from xorg.conf. That delay was introduced around in December 07.
Before that, the keyboard setup from xorg.conf used to be in effect
immediately after startup, now, directly after startup, it seems to be
the keyboard setup taken from wscons, and after about half a minute, it
suddenly changes to be that from xorg.conf.

Kind regards,

Hannah.

Rem: the XlbLayout option in xorg.conf is a list which happens
to only have one member most of the time.

This said, in order to use the keyboard applet under GNOME, I needed
ln -s /etc/X11/xkb /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
might explain some delay?

Keyboard switching is present in XFCE, but only enable the default.
Switching is planned for later versions.

Now, fir the VT's, there *must* be a way.
Thinking of thre luit filter, now part of stock xorg.
Luit filters source codeset and dislays target codeset.
Intended for UTF-8 and the UNICODEs, what woud prevent it to translate
US-8859-1 from/to DE-8859-15 ?
Didn't try though.
Stiil convinced there must be easier ways.