On 2008-09-03, Toni Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 05.09.2007 at 00:01:09 -0600, Anthony Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] :-)

>> I've been tuning some networks for VoIP recently, and to get
>> really good results I've found it's been necessary to do altq
>> in both directions.
>
> This should imho be possible to look at what kind of traffic goes out
> of one interface, then write appropriate altq rules. For a router,
> which seems to be what you're talking about, (almost) all traffic that
> enters the router on one side, leaves it on some other side. That way,
> each packet needs to traverse one interface in the outgoing direction.

for simple cases yes, but you missed quoting this bit: "For
example, if there is more than one internal network, one can't
create a single altq instance that covers them all. You can
divide bandwidth between them, but you can't borrow between
the different queues in this case."

>> -Hosts cannot be prevented from sending me packets, so the
>> potential exists for inbound bandwidth to be exausted no matter
>> what I do.
>
> Right, but for TCP at least, you could, in theory, employ window
> scaling, delaying ACKs, and ECN to make the other side send their
> packets at a slower rate. This should work unless the other side is
> broken, or simply a rogue site. I don't know how much overhead such a
> mechanism will introduce, though.

Queuing on outbound means the destination sees the packet later,
so ACKs _are_ delayed, which is the reason this does actually slow
down the sending rate (for TCP, anyway).