> I've read through the FAQ and done some searching on the mailing lists +
> google, but I cannot find a definitive answer to my question.  To keep
> it simple, I'm looking at installing OpenBSD on a ThinkPad T61p w/Intel
> Core 2 Duo.  I've been reading that the amd64 platform will work however
> the NX bit isn't supported.

Not all Intel cpu's support it.

> Intel has since come out with their own
> version of the NX bit for whatever reason (shouldn't they have just
> copied it like they did everything else?), the XD bit.

It isn't their own XD bit.  They just couldn't help letting the lawyers
rename it and put a trademark on it.

It works exactly the same.  Except on some Intel machines where it does not
exist, or where it is broken.

> Has this been
> implemented anywhere so that the amd64-bit platform, running under an
> Intel proc, will support W^X?

Most Intel processors now do it correctly.

> If not it looks like I should stick with
> 32-bit... and if not, any plans in the future on implementing Intel's
> specific XD bit?

There is no Intel specific XD bit.  It works 100% the same.  It is
identical.

Intel just felt that they needed to rename everything because it would
make things oh so much more clear.