On Sunday 14 September 2008 20:16:17 Ivan Arsenyev wrote:
>  >  The GENERIC kernel should be sufficient for most all systems
>  > and situations.
>
> I think it's his decision. If he'll do drivers patches and even do
> new drivers, if he will use custom mk.conf, and maybe even
> custom cvs tree why not use custom kernel config too.
>
> By the way if he'll get problems with something, they are will not
> consider by community, if his kernel isn't GENERIC, so it's better
> to build GENERIC kernel every time along with custom and hold
> it for bad day.
>
>  > In NetBSD its have adjustkernel perl script can custom your kernel
>
> I really don't see reason to write such. Just write your own config base on
> sys/arch/(your architecture)/conf/GENERIC and sys/conf/GENERIC and
> some online information. Don't forget that the bootloader give you choose
> kernel patch, so you're always in safe place.
>
>  > I rename my configuration file to OpenBSD,but in dmesg its also
>  > GENERIC,how can I change it?
>
> Didn't you forget to build it? :-) or did make install, or put compiled
> kernel
> to right place manually?

Looks like dmesg holds several boot processes in it and it just had the old
kernel name on top of it with the newer one somewhere towards the end.
That's at least my conclusion from the off-list communication, as long as
there aren't any misunderstandings remaining and I guess he was looking for
something like the ident-line in FreeBSD kernel configs.