On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 09:46:31PM -0400, Steven Surdock wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I pooched an attempted upgrade of a 4.3 box to 4.4 which I remembered
> was running the modified RAIDFrame kernel after installing the -release
> kernel and rebooting -- whoops.  I managed to recover the box, but it
> won't mount the raid0a slice on root.  I resurrected the raid0 slice,
> reran 'raidctl -A root raid0' and rebooted, but when the system tries to
> mount /dev/raid0a on root it says 'invalid argument'.  I'm currently
> running with / mounted  off wd0a (which is why the raidctl -vs below
> shows "Root partition: No") .  Any suggestions (aside from start from
> scratch)?

Have you tried boot -a to see if you can select raid0a?

It's not clear if you're back on the original 4.3 RAIDframe kernel or not;
if not, you need *both* of these lines in your kernel config file:

        pseudo-device   raid    4
        option          RAID_AUTOCONFIG

> Here's a copy of some pertinent info:

Your dmesg should show what's happening when booting.  You neglected to
include it.