Dnia czwartek, 18 wrze6nia 2008, napisa3e6:
> I understand the concept of an 8 bit integer. What I meant by
> ambiguous is the acceptable ranges that are being used, assuming
> vhid's are an 8-bit integer as well, although thats not explicitly
> stated it sure looks like one, why isnt 0 acceptable?

The ifconfig(8) manpage states:
vhid n  If the driver is a carp(4) pseudo-device, set the virtual host
ID to n.  Acceptable values are 1 to 255.

And in the ifconfig.c you have:
 vhid = strtonum(val, 1, 255, &errmsg);

> Ok then if this is true, then can anyone tell me what else would
> prevent me from assigning 0 to the advbase.

Common sense? You can set advbase to 0 and ifconfig won't complain about
it, but it seems that somewhere between the lines ifconfig simply
ignores such value and uses default or previously set. I haven't
managed to find what it actually does in such situation, but I'm no C
programmer.

--
Cezary Morga
"Television enables you to be entertained in your home by people you