On 16:40 Fri 19 Sep, Brian Drain wrote:
> What does the "suspend" command do?  I cannot find a man page on it, or
> entry in the FAQ, or anything useful in the mailing list archives or
> google (seems most deal with laptop suspend/restore).. When I type
> suspend at the cmd line, it drops me past the command line.  Can't ^C or
> ^Z or anything out of it.  Does it have a purpose?  This is being run
> from an i386 desktop and I have no real need for it, just curious about
> it's function.

hi!

Looks like it's shell-related job control function, it is nothing
related to an OS.

in ksh(1) it is an alias:
        suspend='kill -STOP $$'

for bash(1) it looks like this:
        suspend [-f]
              Suspend  the  execution  of  this  shell  until  it
              receives  a SIGCONT signal.  The -f option says not
              to complain if this is a login shell; just  suspend
              anyway.  The return status is 0 unless the shell is
              a login shell and -f is not  supplied,  or  if  job
              control is not enabled.

--
Vladimir Kirillov