Damien Miller wrote:
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Brian wrote:

I'm thinking about picking up an eSATA pci card and backing up my data
to an external hd over eSATA using rsync. Is this supported?

eSATA is a conector, cable and electrical specification and otherwise is
identical to regular SATA. If the particular adapter's chipset you have
chosen is supported for SATA then it will work for eSATA.

-d

PCI card for (e)SATA ???
Does this mean the motherboard hasn't a SATA connector and/or does not have support? In that case, you would better be off with a fast USB. Again MBs with no SATA don't have fast USBs either.

Since you are asking, I guess you should start with establishing a budget:
- eSATA (as USBs) will need an enclosure. These generally come with a
power supply.As do "external hard disks". Those cases cost the price of
a hard disk.
- "external hard disks" often are supplied with two interfaces, any combination of Ethernet/USB/eSATA. Those with two interfaces usually
are dearer, but the hard disk itself also is of better quality.
- external cabinets can be RAID and/or NAS (these are yet another
computer in fact).
- recent fully integrated motherboards (with SATA and fast USB) are cheaper than a VGA card.

My eSATA disk is housed in an Antec cabinet (with extra cooling), comes
with SATA and USB. I mostly use the USB interface as this one can easily be connected and disconnected on almost every box.
eSATA brakets seem to be a spare that is hard to find at standard
PC shops.