I am NOT trying to boot my root partition using bsd.rd. Although I see
that I can using the -a option. I was trying to get a bsd.rd image
like the one from the CDs, with the Install Upgrade and Shell options.
I followed the instructions from release(8) closely but the generated
binary is the same - it tells me it tries to boot from the ramdisk
device and that it has size 0 and reboots. I don't intend it to use as
a way to upgrade, it is easier to download the newer snapshots, I was
just testing the functionality. I am obviously missing something and
this is why I asked.
I've just downloaded the one from the snapshots and see it is
RAMDISK_CD. Do I need to build the RAMDISK_CD kernel instead of
RAMDISK and it will work?

Thank you