On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:24:16 -0300
Fernando Gont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 11:13 a.m. 01/10/2008, Duncan Patton a Campbell wrote:
>
> >"
> >Sockstress computes and stores so-called client-side SYN cookies and
> >enables Lee and Louis to specify a destination port and IP address.
> >The method allows them to complete the TCP handshake without having
> >to store any values, which takes time and resources. "We can then
> >say that we want to establish X number of TCP connections on that
> >address and that we want to use this attack type, and it does it," Lee said.
> >"
>
> This is simply the naphta attack. They don't really need to "use syn
> cookies". They could simply ACK any SYN/ACK they receive, and that's it.

The impression I got is that they collect enough SYN cookies from
the server to crack the server's secret (24bit) and THEN they can
forge any number of acks to the server's syn cookie that contain
bogus ip/ports but with the correct sequence/hash.  If this is not
the case then it is nothing new.

Dhu