Frans Haarman wrote:
2008/10/7 BARDOU Pierre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello,

I am trying to set up a configuraion like this :

            +------- -+       +---------+
            |  ISP1   |       |  ISP2   |     Cisco
            | ROUTER  |       | ROUTER  |
            | AS3215  |       | AS12670 |
            +---------+       +---------+
                 |                |
                 |                |
            +---------+       +---------+
            |   BGP   |       |   BGP   |
            | ROUTER  |       | ROUTER  |     OpenBSD 4.3
            | AS47818 |       | AS45818 |
            +---------+       +---------+
                 |                |
                 |                |
            +-------------------------+
            |    217.109.108.240/28   |
            +-------------------------+
                 |                |
                 |                |
            +--------+        +-------+
            |   FW   |--------|  FW   |       OpenBSD 4.3
            | MASTER | pfsync | SLAVE |
            +--------+        +-------+
                 |                |
                 |                |
            +-------------------------+
            |     PRIVATE NETWORKS    |
            +-------------------------+

I'd like to load balance outgoing connections to the internet,
but I don't know how to configure openBGPd to do this.
I searched a lot on the Internet and I found a lot of informations
on how to do this with cisco, but I have never found an openBGP solution.
Some people speak about it but I have never seen it.

I made a test conf where failover works like a charm (using iBGP on the
FW's with 'set nexhop self' on BGP routers), but when both connections
are active only one is used.

Would it be possible to help me please ?
Is setting up iBGP sessions between FW's and BGP routers a good idea ?
Should I rather use OSPF for this ?
And in tha case how to configure it to loadbalance/failover ?

Many thanks

PS : loadbalancing incoming connections too would be very nice, but I
understood it was much more difficult.

--
Cordialement,
Pierre BARDOU

just wondering......

What happens when you load balance your
traffic on your firewalls ? So you devide
the traffic over both bgp routers:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html

maybe you could even do the route-to
on the bgp routers ?

something like:

route-to { ($ext_if $ext_ISP1), ($local_if $BGP2 ) } round-robin
from $lan_net to any keep state
#and on the other bgp router
route-to { ($ext_if $ext_ISP2), ($local_if $BGP1 ) } round-robin
from $lan_net to any keep state

Beware: I have no idea if any of this is possible.
But thats what I'd try :)

Gr. FH

You might want to read about http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#Multipath,
although it's not bgp solution.
I think with default configuration you should have multipath capability. Check
if there is not localpref chosen, and check yours ISP prepends length.

Regards,
Mariusz Makowski