> > > As always, it is a shame that those types of pages have so many
> > > errors.
> > >
> > > [snip: examples]
> > > It is just sad.
> >
> > It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
> >

> > # Han

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 11:11:26AM -0500, Marco Peereboom spoke thusly:
> Right, let me put on my hippie robes so that we can sing koombaya.
> Obviously it doesn't matter that website is spewing shit; it is the
> thought that counts.

For what it's worth, I never meant to stir up a hornet's nest on the
list. The guy's got a mailto link and welcomes all corrections. He
answers promptly, too. I guess it's being done in the spirit of open
source. You know, where everyone is welcome to pitch in constructively?
Hence, the link for "Contributions and corrections gratefully accepted".
I already wrote to him about what Theo spotted right off and got an
answer he will correct it as soon as possible. I went back again,
clicked on 'set all OS' and 'Draw table', and can find no shutdown
command ref for OpenBSD. There's just a ? there. Checked OpenBSD in
the box, again clicked 'Draw Table' and got the same. Maybe the person
who wrote the previous message pertaining to that command looked at
the wrong column. Or hell, maybe I did. It's apparent it's a work in
progress. Kind of like release schedules, applying patches, etc. Things
improve with time. Why not pitch in and help the guy? Or not. Point is,
he's trying. I guess he could take the 'Sysadmin' out at the top of the
page, possibly misleading to a newbie, but he's also got good links to
the OpenBSD FAQ's and man pages. Those ARE definitive guides and users
are warned about that early on, both in the documentation and on the
mailing lists. If they choose to try to shortcut and use something they
found like on the site in question and it bites them in the butt, they
only have themselves to blame. I don't think any sysadmin worth his
salt would blindly follow everything on the site.

--

Denny White

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A