On Nov 2, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Stuart Henderson wrote:

On 2008-11-02, Brian Keefer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Nov 1, 2008, at 10:21 PM, Duncan Patton a Campbell wrote:

Unless you have a good reason not to, use "WebCams" that implement
an http(s) server on camera.

The use of a standard protocol makes life much easier.

Dhu

I was under the impression that the quality would be bad and/or they
would require a proprietary client application that only runs on
Windows, etc... Am I mistaken?  If the cam has it's own webserver, is
it simply serving static frames ever x seconds, or streams video as
well?

look at the Axis cameras.

Sorry for the basic questions, but I hadn't even considered that
approach.  I was planning on using bktr(4) with capture cards and
cameras with coax/rca/s-video out.

that may also be possible, but afaik it's mostly used for watching
tv, at least the manual page doesn't talk about the multi-input
cards you'd probably want to use.

Thanks for the tips!

Hopefully I'll have something useful to report soon(tm).

--
bk