Deraj Puma wrote:

This same thing happened to me last night between me and my ISP. I
deleted /var/db/dhclient.leases.if and rebooted which worked.

No cigar.
Of course, I have no /var/db/dhclient.leases, but I did move
dhcpd.leases out of the way and rebooted. It was recreated, but no IP
dished out.
Further, I also 'pfctl -d' the firewall out of the way. Still no success.

I tried to find the location of the dhcp leases on Solaris, but no success.

I found the only config file for the dhcpagent, and it has only one
uncommented line for inet4:

# By default, a parameter request list requesting a subnet mask (1),
# router (3), DNS server (6), hostname (12), DNS domain (15), broadcast
# address (28), and encapsulated vendor options (43), is sent to the DHCP
# server when the DHCP agent sends requests.  However, if desired, this
# can be changed by altering the following parameter-value pair.  The
# numbers correspond to the values defined in the IANA bootp-dhcp-parameters
# registry at the time of this writing.
#
PARAM_REQUEST_LIST=1,3,6,12,15,28,43

Then I continued debugging on the client side, and that was more promising.
Here is the session on the admin side:

# ifconfig nge0 dhcp status
Interface  State         Sent  Recv  Declined  Flags
nge0 SELECTING 7 0 0 # ifconfig nge0 dhcp status
Interface  State         Sent  Recv  Declined  Flags
nge0 SELECTING 8 0 0 # ifconfig nge0 dhcp drop # ifconfig nge0 dhcp status
ifconfig: nge0: interface is not under DHCP control
# ifconfig nge0 dhcp start
^C

# /sbin/dhcpagent -d 2 -v
# ps -eaf | grep dhcp
    root   319     1   0 11:06:37 ?           0:00 /sbin/dhcpagent
# kill 319

# ifconfig nge0 192.168.116.91
# route add default 192.168.116.200
add net default: gateway 192.168.116.200

In the first part, one can see the counter of unsuccessful attempts incrementing.
Then I stop dhcpclient, and restart; and stop and ask for verbose output.

This is the dmesg, and it clearly shows a compatibility problem; under the default as well as under verbose states:

Nov  5 11:07:07 solN /sbin/dhcpagent[319]: [ID 566172 daemon.warning] recv_pkt:
bad option overload
Nov  5 11:13:18 solN last message repeated 17 times
Nov  5 11:13:50 solN /sbin/dhcpagent[319]: [ID 566172 daemon.warning] recv_pkt:
bad option overload
Nov  5 11:15:50 solN last message repeated 11 times
Nov  5 11:16:28 solN /sbin/dhcpagent[1156]: [ID 787751 daemon.error]
dhcp_ipc_init: cannot bind to port 4999 (agent already running?)
Nov  5 11:16:53 solN /sbin/dhcpagent[319]: [ID 566172 daemon.warning] recv_pkt:
bad option overload

It is beyond my horizon, what the "recv_pkt: bad option overload" means, but it shows that Solaris is not going to accept offers from the dhcpd of 4.4. Alas, my fault, I have no backup of 4.3, but exactly the same had worked flawlessly throughout up to and including 4.3.

Uwe