Hi Russell,

Thanks for your answer.
Sending traps to multicast addresses seems like a good idea, except it
would be up to the receiver to decide whether to use the trap or not
(taking away the possibility to filter which hosts gets copied the traps
(multicast traps to predefined destinations)).

I not sure if this is going to be possible, but maybe tagging incoming
traps based on the source address combined with rule that anchors into a
new ruleset using rdr or something.
(Unless you didn't use strict order for rdr/nat before rules etc).

For example, I tried this (which didn't work)
rdr on $int_if proto udp from 10.10.10.10 to $nms-a port 162 -> $nmstable
port 162
# Were $nmstable is nms-a,b,c etc
This will load, but expands to :
rdr on bge1 inet proto udp from 10.10.10.10 to x.x.x.x port = snmp-trap
-> { x.x.x.x, y.y.y.y, z.z.z.z } port 162 round-robin

The keyword here is "round-robin" which is the only accepted argument
when using a host table.

I will give multicast a try, as it may be a better fix than "store and
forward", replacing the source address.
Ultimately, I think this is a feature request.

Thank you,
Simen.

On Wed Nov 5 15:28 , Russell Howe sent:

  Simen Stavdal wrote, sometime around 05/11/08 14:14:
  > Hi Damian/misc,
  >
  > I appreciate your input -I really do.
  > Please see my comments below.
  >
  > I am not trying to escape the fact that one needs systems in place
  > manage large installations, I am merely looking for what *I* think
  > would be a better way to deploy resources.
  > As a service provider I can provide advice (and hence I posted this
  > question in the first place to see if there was a good way to
  > "multicast" traps to predefined destinations), but it is not in my
  > power to manage a customers network - so this I'm afraid is out of
  my
  > control - but I do agree with your point "...should *never* be a
  > reason...".

  Maybe you answered your own question here - what if you sent your
  traps
  to a multicast address and had proper multicast routing?

  Not something I've ever tried, mind you...

  --
  Russell Howe, IT Manager. <[EMAIL PROTECTED] mtmarinerisk.com>
  BMT Marine & Offshore Surveys Ltd.

FC% din egen, gratis e-postadresse pC% Start.no