Hi folks,

Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Question: How can I make sure that "em2" doesn't become "em0"
> if my dual-port NIC dies? This would be fatal for my firewall
> setup. At least the antispoof rules _must_ be bound to the
> network devices.

Sorry to wake this thread up again, but this problem is a severe
security risk. IMHO it is unacceptable that a hardware failure on
one NIC of a firewall can put the whole network at risk, just because
the mapping between NICs and interface names gets mixed up, and PF
suddenly treats the Internet as a subnet of the company LAN.

The workarounds posted here just show that OpenBSD's native
functionality is insufficient. If you are planning a version 5.0,
then it would be very nice if you could address this problem.

Many thanx

Harri