Am Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:42:50 +0100
schrieb JC6rg StreckfuC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm in the process to setup relayd as a loadbalancer, which will distribute
> http request to three webservers. I think this is a really common setup.
> I'm using OpenBSD 4.4
>
> this is my config:
>
> <snip>
> www_public="10.0.0.1"
> www1=      "10.0.0.1"
> www2=      "10.0.0.2"
> www3=      "10.0.0.3"
>

> interval 10
> timeout 300
> prefork 1
>
> table <hosts> { $www1 $www2 $www3 }
>
> redirect  {
>         listen on $www_public port http
>
>         tag RELAYD
>
>         forward to <hosts> \
>         check http "/index.html" code 200 mode roundrobin
> }
> </snip>
>
> It seems that the first ip (10.0.0.1) which is also the public ip for the
> webserver pool is unavailable. Each request, which should be forwarded to
the
> first webserver will stuck for a moment and then relayd redirects it to
> the next server in the pool. The ip address 10.0.0.1 will be skipped at any
> time.
>
> For me it looks like an ip conflict between relayd and the first webserver
> If I take a different ip for $www_public, e.g 10.0.0.4 relayd works as
> expected.
>
> So is it mandatory for the directive 'listen on ...' to chose an ip address
> which is not part of the webserver pool?
>
> If it is possible to run relayd as described above i would prefer it
because
> if
> relayd stops working, the server with the outer ip address is still
> reachable.
> Otherwise in case of a failure the entire cluster will be unavailable.
>
> Perhaps there are smarter ways to increase availability of relayd.
>
> Regards, Joerg

Okey, i think i was missing some useful information about my setup
The loadbalancer consists of two dell 2850 server. Each system
is equipped with quad port network devices (d-link dfe580-tx supported by the
ste driver). Of course I'm using carp for redundancy between the boxes.
The configuration for relayd on the master is identical with the
configuration on the backup host.

      box A (master)    pfsync    box B (backup)
      running relayd ------------ running relayd

                    VIP: 10.0.0.5

              www1      www2        www3
            10.0.0.1   10.0.0.2   10.0.0.3