Due to technical constraints, my setup requires that I have a separate boot partition (basically the kernel and anything else critical for booting), and then of course my root partition other data partitions on a separate disk.

I'm kind of new to OpenBSD, and so far what I've managed to do is copy /bsd to a separate partition, then at the boot> prompt I run "boot hd0a -a", then specify my root partition when prompted by the kernel. While this has the desired effect, I'd rather not run this every time I want to boot OpenBSD. Is there a kernel parameter I can pass that lets the kernel know ahead of time the root device I wish to mount?

Basically I'm looking for the OpenBSD equivalent of root=/dev/xxx Linux kernel parameter. I think I managed to get FreeBSD working similarly with the vfs.root.mountfrom= parameter, but this doesn't appear to exist in OpenBSD.

Thanks for looking into this.

--
Joseph Alten