Steven wrote:
I installed NetBSD 4.01 (amd64) and then installed OpenBSD 4.4 (amd64) onto the same hard disk.
I used the OpenBSD fdisk on the install CD to set it up OpenBSD like this:

Offset: 0   Signature : 0xAA55
               C          H   S             C          H          S
0: A9 0 1 1 8885 254 63 *1: A6 8896 0 1 15000 254 63

that didn't come through as desired. :)

where *1 is the active OpenBSD partition.

Yet, when I reboot I am greeted with the NetBSD boot loader,
not the Open BSD boot loader as I hoped.

I am very new to BSD and UNIX.

ah, so dive in and hurt yourself as much as you can with a
complicated setup. :)

See the first paragraph in FAQ4 about multibooting.
You really should understand a lot about how your systems
work before attempting multibooting.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Just ran into that problem myself on an Acer Aspire One, apparently
the MBR they shipped on the thing doesn't actually respect the
partition flagged as active.  Flagging the partition is supposed
to work, of course, but that assumes the MBR code actually
decides to play by the rules.  Sounds like your MBR (like mine)
doesn't.

You can probably fix the problem by installing the OpenBSD MBR
code on the system (fdisk's -u command line option or "update" in
the interactive editor). This should get OpenBSD booting.
Not sure what it will do to your NetBSD setup, however (it may be
just fine, it may not, never tried to multi-boot NetBSD and
OpenBSD, you may find some quirks).

It looks like your disk is pretty big, and you split in half.
Might want to make sure NetBSD's boot loader can load an OS over
8G.  I have no idea if they can.  OpenBSD can..assuming the MBR
hands control over to the PBR and /boot properly.  For that
matter, you might want to make sure your BIOS supports large
disks properly, otherwise you may have boot issues (just realized
I may not be the only one sticking big disks on old computers!)

Nick.