jul wrote:
Hello

has someone setup a vpn tunnel between openbsd and an iphone ?

it seems ipsec part is strictly limited to "cisco ipsec" with a user
account/password so not good for us.
Else there is pptp and l2tp but i'm not sure there is anything in base
to do this.
Ports seems to only have pptp as a client and i'm looking for server.

any informations ?

thanks a lot
Cheers

I apologize for the fairly off topic nature of this post, but I am assuming there may be other OpenBSD users out there trying to wrap their heads around what it would take to make an iPhone work with OpenBSD's default VPN method.

The iPhone implements racoon to perform the IPsec portion of the iPhone L2TP. On a jailbroken phone, you can see an instance of the racoon process start / stop if you connect to / disconnect from an L2TP connection. You can also find the racoon executable in /usr/sbin if your iPhone is jailbroken.

Unfortunately, racoon on the iPhone does not include setkey, which as far as I can tell is required to set up an IPsec tunnel with OpenBSD.

There was a setkey floating around for firmware 1.x of the iPhone (see the post at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=98756 and find the download at http://pr0g.free.fr/iphone/setkey). I tried using this version of setkey on my 2.x firmware iPod Touch but, as is the case with most software compiled on 1.x, the program failed with an error.

One would expect that it should be possible for an enterprising person to fetch ipsec-tools for Darwin (the latest as of writing is at http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5.5/ipsec-34.0.2/) and compile a working setkey for the iPhone. Once done, creating an IPsec tunnel between an iPhone and OpenBSD should be nearly identical to creating such a tunnel using OS X or FreeBSD.

Hopefully you can use this information.

Breeno