True indeed. complexity does bring in the failure as it has for me.
I've reverted back to one master and one backup and it works like a
charm. I guess the electricity we have to pay for on the backup is the
price we pay for high availability. Perhaps I could make the backup
useful for DNS caching/memcaching among other things.

Thanks and I do believe this thread to be resolved for all intensive purposes,
Vivek