Ed Ahlsen-Girard wrote:
Alexander Hall wrote:
Ed Ahlsen-Girard wrote:
OK, I've installed Samba, and gotten printcap set such that I printed a straight text fire, but nothing else works now that I tried to print other formats through gv and open-office.

Perhaps Samba is not the way to go?  Printcap below.

#    $OpenBSD: printcap,v 1.4 2003/03/28 21:32:30 jmc Exp $

#lp|local line printer:\
#    :lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/output:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

#rp|remote line printer:\
#    :lp=:rm=printhost:rp=lp:sd=/var/spool/output:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
lp|hpoffice:rp=hpoffice:rm=192.168.1.100:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpoffice:af=/var/spool/lpd/hpoffice/acct:if=/usr/local/bin/smbprint:mx=0:lp=/dev/null:

For local printing, samba does nothing. Unless your printer supports postcsript natively (most cheap printers don't) you need some kind of converting filter. For my canon i550, i'm using apsfilter combined with ghostscript, both available as packages/ports.

Dont know if /usr/local/bin/smbprint in your printcap is some filter like that or where it comes from. Can't find it in any port.

/Alexander

It's not local printing. It's an HP OfficeJet hung on a Windows XP machine.

Ok, so your machine is a samba client. That explains the if=... part. :)

Anyway, if I'm not terribly mistaken, samba or that XP host will not help you convert from postscript (or whatever the program printing from is delivering) to the printers native language, so if your printer does not grok postscript you still need some kind of filter. However, most printers, if not all, can print normal ascii text.

I have no idea what capabilities the HP OfficeJet has, but to me it still seems like ghostscript or something else is needed to convert your output to a suitable format for the printer.

/Alexander