On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 09:19:42PM +0000, Peter Bristow wrote:
> Hi
>
> > So either of you should contact the ukranian ISP who is at that
> > prefix; that is the problem, right?
> >

> Yes we've been in contact with said ISP. They have called out their on call
> engineer and their upstreams are applying pressure. This time it was
> unintentional. A rouge isp DoSing all OpenBGPD routers doesn't seem like an
> attractive idea to me.
>

> > Then henning and claudio can help.
> >

> Excellent.

I looked at the porblem and I'm currently unsure what the best way is to
handle such bad AS4_* attributes. The RFC in all its glory does not
mention how to handle errors. So at the moment I'm in favor of just
dropping/ignoring the bad optional attribute but I need to recheck with
the BGP RFC to see if this is valid. Another solution is to ignore the
full update but I have a bad feeling about that.

All in all it should be a defined and accepted way so that it is not
possible that injecting rogue BGP updates is causing session flaps around
the world.
This is why I think just ignoring the attribute should be save.
--
:wq Claudio