On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Stephan A. Rickauer <
stephan.ricka...@ini.phys.ethz.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 17:32 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>

> > What's the point on using CARP to send advertisements over a dedicated
> > link? The dedicated link is typically a cross-over cable (i.e. used
> > for pfsync) and hence, in case of a switch port failure (or cable
> > failure), CARP won't be able to see this.
>
> That's true, of course. Then I don't see a chance to make CARP behave
> under heavy load, cause it can always be misinterpreted as a link
> failure by CARP. I'll try prioritizing carp ads with altq and see how
> that goes.

If the two machines that are part of the same CARP group are connected to
the same switch, and you are experiencing packet loss, then something really
bad is going on. How many ports does your switch have? Perhaps the total
aggregated switching capacity of the switch is not enough in your
deployment.

--
http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/disclaimer/