On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 02:52:04AM +0000, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 01:09:42AM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > Something of an idle question: According to audioctl, my azalia
> > device only supports 16-bit audio, but according to the data sheet
> > the codec also offers 20- and 24-bit audio.  Are there any plans
> > to add support for this?
> >
> > No, I have no idea what you would actually use this for.  In particular,
> > I doubt that the analog inputs and outputs offer anywhere near that
> > dynamic range.  Still, you'd think the codec designers included these
> > capabilities for a reason.
>
> we could support 24-bit but there are bigger fish to fry, imo.

hmm, this is even trickier than I thought.

the problem is 20 and 24-bit formats are actually 20 and 24 bits
of data in a 32 bit sample.  internally audio(4) uses "precision"
as the exact sample size.  so, we have to distinguish between
"padded" and non-padded formats in audio(4) first.

btw, 32-bit formats should already be supported, afaics.  they
aren't "padded".

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org