bofh wrote:
> I think Marco's point was that if there are crashes, lockups, etc, it
> is a pain in the ass not to have console access, or to be able to
> unplug the power and reboot into a working config/kernel, etc etc.

Access to a second box, for control, which has both serial and Ethernet
connections to the development units is the first step.

What else is there on a wish-list for being able to do kernel-level work
remotely?

What architecture-specific troubles are common?  I notice some of the
PPC and AMD64 units I have do not have serial output.

As far as the power-cycling of hardware goes, I'm looking into GPIO on
the motherboard to control optocouplers (or equiv) to control power
relays which can then switch the wall current for some development units
on or off.  For equipment with hardware reset, the relay can be skipped.
 These would be controlled via the control box's GPIO using gpioctl.

I ask because I'm trying to set up an environment where kernel-level
work can be done remotely.  Having more perspectives will help.

regards,
-Lars