I know from past experience and doing a lot of online searching
that this problem crops up from time to time. Usually someone
just did a new install and doesn't know the locate.datebase
isn't created by default. You have to do it yourself to get
started. Just stating those things so no one thinks I'm looking
for a quick fix without any rtfm or research. I'm getting

"Not installing locate database; zero size"

when weekly runs. I've created the database myself several ways:

sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

which makes it much larger than the normal size which happens
because it's not under the normal constraints it is when run
from weekly. Also used

sudo su -m nobody /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

which produces the normal size.

I haven't done any modifications to weekly. It's straight
'out of the box' from when I installed 4.4. I've looked at
the permissions on the pertinent directories and none of them
appear to have changed. I've looked at root's crontab and can't
find anything wrong there. It's just like it was when I was
still running 4.3 and locate.updatedb worked fine from weekly
then. Still, when weekly runs, locate.updatedb fails. I've
tried running ls from another term when weekly starts and
could see /var/db/locate.database.XXXXXXXXXX. Sometimes
locate.update will run for up to 10 or 15 secs, but usually
it fails, almost immediately. I should mention, also, that
there's no problem with /tmp or /var sizes. /tmp is 1Gib
and almost empty. /var is 2GiB, also mostly free. Anyone
got any ideas where to look next, I'd appreciate it.

Denny White

--

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /    Respect for low technology.