On 7 January 2009 c. 00:39:58 Jacob Meuser wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 09:29:37PM +0000, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > this was deep into another thread, so I'm reposting so it will be
> > seen by more people (hopefully).
> >
> > so azalia users please let your voice be heard.  would you find it
> > annoying when playing *only* mono or stereo to have all outputs play
> > the audio, or would you like that?
>
> let me clarify a little.  the output jacks would still be mutable as
> they are now, but they would be getting the mono or stereo stream.
>
> I can see this being both useful and also annoying, so I'm asking what
> others' opinions are.

For me, it looks like having mono/stereo output on all jacks is better:
if you have >=4 speakers then you'll have all of them playing when, for
example, watching stereo-only video. And this will not differ much from
all those 4-5-6... channels enabled video. Otherwise it'll require too
much work every time you want to play something: you will have to check
number of sound channels in clip and, possibly, play with your
videoplayer or aucat(1) options. Much harder and non-obvious way than
just muting/unmuting, IMHO.

--
  Best wishes,
    Vadim Zhukov