On Jan 11, 2009 12:44pm, Rudi Ludwig <rud...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> for flexibility I have configured my computer (OpenBSD 4.4; macppc)
>
> with the home directory being auto mounted.
>

> that is /etc/amd/amd.home reads:
>
> #
>
> * type:=link;fs:=/usr/home;sublink:=${key}
>

> This works as desired. The programs use /home/ as
>
> they should, the real data locates in /usr/home. Of course, useradd
>
> becomes a two step process.
>

> But, the only program that doesn't play nicely is xterm. Either from
>
> within an xsession or when login in remotely via ssh the initial path
>
> is always: /usr/home/ despite $PATH being /home/
>
> That is, xterm initially reads: ibook:/usr/home/rudi$
>
> instead of just: ibook:~$
>

> Is this a configuration issue or a bug/feature of xterm?

xterm is innocent here. It is the shell running inside xterm that displays
the prompt.

Which shell are you using, how did you configure the prompt?

with ksh(1), using "export PS1='\h:\w$ '" to define the prompt, I get the
correct result most of the time, even if /bin/pwd reports
/usr/home/matthieu.

Other shells may behave differently.