Guido Tschakert schrieb:
> ro...@cs.wisc.edu schrieb:
>> I recently started using a VPN with my laptop for when I travel(which is
>> quite often) and I have noticed a detectable degradation when going
>> through the VPN especially when using streaming video. My laptop is a few
>> years old and the problem isn't that big a deal but I was wondering if
>> there is a card I could buy that I could offload the work to. Hopefully
>> one that isn't very expensive would be nice. Just wondering if anybody has
>> any suggestions.
>>
>> roger
>>

> Hello,
>
> you forgot to mention a lot of information:
>
> what kind of vpn you are using?
>

> what kind of laptop you are using?
>
> As you want to add hardware, where is the mesg?
>
> btw:
> I am not aware of any pcmcia device, usb device or pci express card
> doing cryptographic acceleration, but i am not that expert. But I think
> if you find such a thing, it is cheaper to buy a new laptop ;-)
>
> and another thing: maybe it would help to tweak your vpn config, but
> therefore it is needed!
>
> guido

Another question comes to my mind.
What speed do you get through your VPN and what speed do you expect/need
(specially for streaming video).
Another problem might be that your CPU cannot handle vpn and video at
the same time. (so the speed of the vpn is not your problem)
If this is your problem, maybe a new graphic card is a solution (which
also isn't quiet easy to change in a laptop)

guido