On 2009-01-20, Guido Tschakert <guido.tschak...@src-gmbh.de> wrote:
> first thing: I do not have any experience with multicast traffic.
> But what you have build seems very strange to me. First you use vlan to
> separate the networks an then you put them alltogether with a bridge.
> I do not see the use of the vlans.

It can indeed be useful to do this, even without multicast traffic
in the equation. You might want to filter traffic between machines in
the same subnet, and this is a way you can do it.

> Key Aavoja schrieb:
>> PF config:
>>
>> block out on bnx1 all
>> block out on vlan1100 all
>> block out on vlan1101 all
>> block out on vlan1102 all
>> block out on vlan1103 all
>> block out on vlan1104 all
>> block out on vlan1105 all
>> block out on vlan1106 all
>> block out on vlan1107 all
>> block out on vlan1108 all
>> pass out quick on vlan1101 proto udp from any to 239.16.1.1
>> pass out quick on vlan1102 proto udp from any to 239.16.1.2
>> pass out quick on vlan1103 proto udp from any to 239.16.1.3
>>
>> Wishful thinking, what the result should be:
>>
>> All multicast streams are available on vlan1100 and recieved via
>> "bnx0/vlan1100". Bridge should stream the multicast packets to what
>> ever vlan - its the place where pf should help. Stream: 239.16.1.1
>> should be available only on vlan1101, and 239.16.1.2 avialable on
>> vlan1102 and so on.
>> .
>>
>> Real Result:
>> Stream 239.16.1.1 is available on all three vlans: 11101,1102,1103 -
>> same thing happens with other two streams (239.16.1.2, 239.16.1.3)
>>
>> It's really weird what's going on or did I understood something wrong
>> and configuration is not correct?

you should check the simple things first.

- is PF enabled? pfctl -si
- is the ruleset loaded correctly? pfctl -sr
- does it correctly block ordinary non-multicast traffic between
the vlans? if you did indeed include your whole PF config in your
email, only that particular multicast traffic should pass between
the vlans, everything else should be blocked.

you might have already done this, but if you did, you should have
mentioned in your email what you checked.

with a routed (not bridged) environment, PF is able to control
multicast traffic in either direction (I just tried).

from my reading of if_bridge.c, on a bridge, pf filtering for
multicast frames only happens _inbound_. multicast frames sent
_out_ through a bridge are not subject to the outbound PF filter
rules.

bridge MAC filter rules _are_ applied outbound for multicast
frames, I haven't tested but I think that will give you a way
you can restrict this traffic.