Hi Steve,

2009/1/23 Steve Laurie <st...@foo-unix.org>:

> I've got a Sun Microsystems Ultra 5 270MHz 64bit CPU with 128MB of RAM.
> Would that be better than the 1GHz 1024MB RAM x86 bitsa I'm using at the
> moment?

I'd be surprised if that U5 was faster than the 1GHz x86.

Back with OpenBSD 3.7 or so, I found with Ultra 5's that those which
had the lower sized L2 cache, were a lot slower than those with the
2MB L2 cache.

Direct crossover connection:     94.1 Mbits/sec (end-point directly to
end-point).
360MHz in the Ultra 5 (256k L2):   pf OFF: 67.2 Mbits/sec   pf ON:
47.3 Mbits/sec.
333MHz in the Ultra 5 (2M L2):   pf OFF: 77.0 Mbits/sec   pf ON: 74.0 Mbits/sec.

The 270MHz UltraSPARC in your Ultra 5 probably has 256k of L2 cache,
so I think you'll get a speed penalty due to cycle speed and the small
L2 cache size.

Although lots of pf performance gains have been made since then and I
don't know if any of them would have made the L2 difference less
dramatic.

Shane