> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:27:59PM -0500, Joe Gidi wrote:
>> I've been playing with aucat's new sound server capabilities, and it's
>> impressed me enough that I'd like to have it running as a system-wide
>> sound daemon. What is proper way to have it launch at boot? An entry in
>> rc.conf.local like 'aucat_flags="-l"'?
>
> I'm curious what you mean by "system-wide"?  I always use it as my
> own user.  I start it from .xsession with the following line
>
> pgrep aucat || (/usr/bin/aucat -l &)
>
> --
> jake...@sdf.lonestar.org

"System-wide" was probably a bad choice of words; what I really meant was,
basically, "Am I doing this right?" :-)

I've been launching aucat exactly the same way you are, including the test
to see if it's already running. And of course it works just fine that way;
my thinking was that since aucat is acting as a daemon, maybe I should be
starting it somewhere other than in .xsession.

I notice that the aucat process stays alive across sessions (which was why
I added the pgrep test in my .xsession; during testing I saw I had 8
aucats running!); is this the expected behavior?

Thanks for your help!

--
Joe Gidi
j...@entropicblur.com